findERnow Frequently Asked Questions

Please email us at emnet@partners.org if you have any questions or issues with findERnow. Please see below for answers to some common questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why can’t findERnow determine my location? 
A. You must have 3G/4G/LTE or WiFi network access for findERnow to determine your location. The inability to determine your location is due to the lack of an internet connection and not the app itself.

Q. What makes this different than a Google search? 
A. Unlike a simple Google search, findERnow’s results are based on combined emergency department (ED) listings from multiple sources that have been confirmed by EMNet researchers. For more information on the process of confirming ED listings and refining our ED database, click here

Q. I am going on vacation and want to find the EDs closest to my destination before I leave. Can I search for them within findERnow
A. Yes. You may search for destinations within the US by city and state, zip code, and by landmark (e.g., Fenway Park).

Q. How do I know if the closest ED is open? 
A. All of the listed EDs are open 24/7. Since hours may change and EDs close and open almost daily, we aim to update the app in real-time. These updates allow us to remove those EDs that have closed and add new EDs that have opened. To make sure that the closest ED is open, you can click on the “More Information” button and then call the ED.

Q: Why can I not find my facility in findERnow?
A: All 24/7 emergency care facilities are listed in findERnow. If you believe that a facility meets these criteria but is not listed, please contact us at emnet@partners.org and we will investigate further.

Q: The driving time to my nearest facility seems incorrect. Can you please troubleshoot?
findERnow calculates the current driving time, including traffic, using Apple Maps (iPhone) or Google Maps (Android). If your current driving time appears to be much longer than you would expect, you might have your preferred transportation type on your phone set as “Walking” or “Transit”. To check this, go to “Settings” and click on the “Maps” option to set your preferred transportation type to “Driving”.